Friday, October 31, 2008

saw dust

We all have the moments when we realize that our parents were right and they actually knew what they were talking about after all. I had one of many of those times today.

I was working on our outdoor play set. I needed to cut two boards. So I grabbed my trusty power saw and as luck would have – batteries dead. So I conceded that I would have to do it the old fashion way WITH A HAND SAW!! dun dun dum

dramatic pause.

So as I was working on the first board and my arm was getting weary – I really need to work out more – I was trying to recall what my dad had taught me about cutting boards. I remember him saying something to the effect of not pressing too hard on the saw.

Yes. More accurately he said Let the saw do all the work.

OK good idea, I guess, when you have a lot of cutting to do and you want to preserve yourself. But I’m about the here and now. Besides my incredible wife told me supper would be ready soon so I know I didn’t have much time.

First board. I laid into it! There was no mercy. It was personal. LIKE A MAN IN THE WILD!! MORE POWER!! ARF ARF ARF Tim the tool man would have been proud. However I did notice that the board split some on the ends and the cut wasn’t that smooth. Having moved pretty quickly in positioning and zipping in the screws. I move on.

Second Board. I had some time so I thought I would try it my ole’ pops way. Sure it might take longer, but maybe I’ll save some energy so I thought.

You know what happened.

Do I really need to finish the story. You already know that I ate my words BIG TIME! Sorry Dad.

Not only did it give a great smooth even cut but I believe that I cut through the board in less time with half the effort. I was PWNED as my friends in the gamer world would say.

So the lesson for today is charge the battery before you need it.
I Love You Dad. Thanks for teaching me about love, life, faith and cutting boards.

No comments: